In the autumn of 1949 the Nationalist government was relocated to Taiwan, and a group of alumni of Soochow University, who also came to Taiwan, proposed to reactivate the university in Taiwan. In 1951, a preparatory school board was organized, which then rented premises on Hangkou Street in downtown Taipei to set up Soochow Preparatory School. In 1954, the Ministry of Education granted permission to reorganize it as Soochow University Law College, consisting of the Departments of Law, Political Science, Economics, Accounting, and Foreign Languages. It was the first private school on university level set up in Taiwan. In 1957, the university purchased land in suburban Waishuanghsi. In the same year, Dr. C. Y. Stone (Shih Chao-yong), an alumnus of Soochow University, was appointed Dean of the College. Within two years, two buildings, the Wang Memorial Hall and the student activity center were completed. In 1961, the university could move from Hangkou Street to the current address in Waishuanghsi. Soochow finally had a beautiful campus of its own. The early years of reactivation in Taiwan, however, were not without difficulties and setbacks. The financial situation of the school was very critical. Nevertheless, with the school board’s endeavors and donations from alumni and churches at home and abroad, the university stood firm and could continue its educational work.